Why should I talk with my teen about porn?
Pornography is a topic that affects everyone, whether they realize it or not. An estimated 91.5% of men and 60.2% of women consume it. What’s more, as many as 93.2% of boys and 62.1% of girls first see porn before they turn 18, with estimates of first exposure at an average age of 13 or younger.
In episode 48, Chris and Karlie give a big picture overview of the effects pornography has on developing minds and ways adults can help teens navigate the inevitable dangers of online porn. They also dive into acronyms that every parent needs to know and ways that Disney+ is changing.
Don’t miss these resources on the effects of pornography.
- The Recovery Village: Pornography Facts and Statistics
- Fightthenewdrug.org: Boys Exposed: How Porn Traumatizes
- Fightthenewdrug.org: How Many Women Watch Porn?
- Defendyoungminds.org: 10 Tricky Ways Porn Will Target Your Kids in 2022
- Defendyoungminds.org: 7 Ways Porn Kills Marriage–Plus Tips for Talking to Your Teens
- Covanenteyes.org: The Holiday Reality of Peer-to-Peer Porn Exposure
- YouTube: Raised on Porn Documentary
- Cyberwise: Online Pornography
- Podcast music by Luke Cabrera and Tobin Hodges
Acronyms You Need To Know
- TTM: Talk to me
- TFW: that feeling when
- YKTV: you know the vibe
- FR: For real
- 53X: Sex
- LMIRL: Let’s meet in real life
- ASL: Age/sex/location
- FYEO or 4YEO: For your eyes only (may indicate explicit photos)
- TDTM: Talk dirty to me
- NSFW: Not safe/suitable for work (most of the time inappropriate/to make sure adults aren’t looking at it)
Have a question?
If you have a question about something you heard or just want to give us some feedback, please leave us a comment below. We would love to hear from you!
Chris has worked with teens from a variety of backgrounds for over a decade. He has a desire to help teenagers make good choices while also giving their families tools to communicate more effectively as choices are made.
Director of Communications
Karlie was in one of Teen Life’s original support groups and has always had a heart for teenagers and the vulnerable life stage they are in. She has a wealth of experience to share from working with teens in ministry and leading support groups.