Ep. 22: Talking About Mental Health & YikYak
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Mental health is more than a trending topic. It affects kids, teenagers, and adults from every walk of life. But when kids and teens struggle with mental health, they often don’t have the language or experience to know how to ask for help. Episode 22 offers advice on how to be present and how to respond when a teen comes to you with mental health concerns. Then, if you’re not familiar with YikYak, hold on to your AirPods. Chris and Karlie will walk you through the app that’s been shut down and brought back to life again. Stick around for do-able birthday party ideas that most teens will love!
In this episode, we mentioned the following resources:
- YouTube: Mental Health Doesn’t Discriminate feat. Lil Wayne – Uncomfortable Conversations with Emmanuel Acho
- Mental Health America: Talking To Adolescents And Teens: Starting The Conversation
- Mental Health America: Talking to Adolescents And Teens: Time To Talk
- Teen Life Podcast: Ep. 18: Suicide & The Olympics
- NPR.org: Yik Yak, The Anonymous App That Tested Free Speech, Is Back
- YikYak Website
- YikYak: Community Guardrails
- YikYak: Mental Health Resources
- YikYak: Stay Safe Resources
- Podcast Music: Luke Cabrera
Have a question? If you have a question about something you heard or just want to give us some feedback, please leave us a comment below. We would love to hear from you!
Chris has worked with teens from a variety of backgrounds for over a decade. He has a desire to help teenagers make good choices while also giving their families tools to communicate more effectively as choices are made.
Director of Communications
Karlie was in one of Teen Life’s original support groups and now is passionate about encouraging students to live better stories. She has gained experience working with teenagers through work, volunteer, and personal opportunities.