Ep. 92: Social Media Report & Parasocial Relationships
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
There’s been much ado about teens and social media in the last few years. This year’s Bark Social Media Report confirms many parents’ worst fears. So what can we do to keep teenagers safe and help them navigate online dangers like predators, dangerous health advice, sexual content, and violence, among others?
Then, do you or your teen feel connected to the characters of your favorite show or a particular celebrity? Chris and Karlie discuss the pluses and minuses of parasocial relationships.
In this episode, we mentioned or used the following resources:
- Bark: Bark’s Annual Report: 2022 Research on Kids and Teens
- Resources for parents and families:
- How to Talk With Your Child About Suicide
- Understanding Suicidal Ideation: How to Help Your Kid
- Here’s What to Do If Your Kid Is Sending Nudes
- What Every Parent Needs to Know About Sexting
- How to Talk About Online Predators With Your Kids
- What is Grooming? Signs to Look for With Sexual Predators
- Social Media and Eating Disorders: How TikTok Promotes Dangerous Videos
- Body Image and Social Media: What Kids Really Face Today
- Anxiety in Teens and Tweens: Helping Your Kid Through a Stressful Time
- Teen Mental Health: What You as a Parent Need to Know
- How to Prevent Cyberbullying
- Traditional Bullying vs. Cyberbullying: How They’re Different
- Depression Phrases and Slang Parents Need to Know
- Signs of Teen Depression and How to Address Them
- How to Support Your Child During Scary and Uncertain Times
- Hate Speech: How to Talk to Your Child About Acts of Violence
- Drug Slang Emojis: Here’s What Every Parent Needs to Know
- Why Do Teens Smoke: The Rise of Vaping
- Teen Life Podcast: Curiosity | The Sex Talk | Overeating Disorders | Eating Disorders | School Shootings | Drug Slang | Marijuana | Fentanyl | Alcohol | Vaping | Kik
- VeryWellMind: What Is a Parasocial Relationship?
- Lubbock Christian University: Youth Ministry Degree
- LCU Contact: David Fraze
- Podcast music by Luke Cabrera and Tobin Hodges
Chris has worked with teens from a variety of backgrounds for over a decade. He has a desire to help teenagers make good choices while also giving their families tools to communicate more effectively as choices are made.
Director of Communications
Karlie was in one of Teen Life’s original support groups and has always had a heart for teenagers and the vulnerable life stage they are in. She has a wealth of experience to share from working with teens in ministry and leading support groups.