Ep. 8: Finding Strengths & Emojis
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
One of the most difficult aspects of personal development is not only facing challenges, but also finding strengths. And if it’s hard as an adult, for many teenagers it can feel impossible. Chris and Karlie discuss ways to help teenagers discover strengths and pursue them. And if you’ve ever been confused about how teens use emojis these days, lean into this episode! We’ll tell you which emojis show your age and which ones you might want to avoid.
All Teen Life Summit sessions are available on demand until August 10. Register and watch at any time. Use code podcast20 for $20 off!
In this episode, we mentioned the following resources:
- Wikipedia: Wizard of Oz
- thenationalnews.com: What do emojis mean how millennials and Gen-Z use them very differently
- CNN.com: Sorry, millenials. The ???? emoji isn’t cool anymore.
- bark.us: 2021 Emoji Slang: A Guide for Parents
- smartsocial.com: Teen Slang, Emojis and Hashtags Parents Need to Know
- Podcast Music: Luke Cabrera
Popular Emojis for Teens:
- Fire ???? (lit)
- Eyeroll ???? (duh)
- ????️????????️ (it is what it is – similar to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
- ☠️???? (dead, dying from laughing)
- ???? (“crying loudly” – laughing, crying, drama)
- ???? (thank you, or to make a request)
- ???? (thumbs up)
Have a question? If you have a question about something you heard or just want to give us some feedback, please leave us a comment below. We would love to hear from you!
Chris has worked with teens from a variety of backgrounds for over a decade. He has a desire to help teenagers make good choices while also giving their families tools to communicate more effectively as choices are made.
Director of Communications
Karlie was in one of Teen Life’s original support groups and now is passionate about encouraging students to live better stories. She has gained experience working with teenagers through work, volunteer, and personal opportunities.